New map Deston comes in July
06/27/2022 - KRAFTON has officially announced that its newest map, Deston, will be released on July 13. Dave Curd and Michael Gilardi revealed numerous details about the map and new game mechanics during a streamed dev talk event on June 25.
Feedback on Haven was taken into account when designing the 8x8 map to ensure that the look, feel, and mechanics fit PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS. Deston is the largest, tallest, and most densely populated map ever seen in the game. During a match on Deston, players will experience dense urban environments with tall buildings, rolling landscapes, meadows and newly designed swamps. The map aims to find the happy medium between entertaining gameplay and immersion in a realistic playing field. Deston will challenge players to learn each of the map's biomes to understand how to use different equipment, vehicles and cover to win the chicken dinner. A detailed look at Deston's new biomes is below.
- The Swampland - In the northern part of the map, the very first Swampland in PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS has been created. This area is a unique environment filled with new experiences for players. The narrow and lush mangrove forest requires many battles in a small space.
- Central Plains - The Central Plains offer the traditional experience that players have come to know and love. Similar to Erangel and Taego, this area offers a balance of cover, scenery, and interesting objectives (POI) for players to explore. The "Lodge" POI is located in the Central Plains and is the largest building ever built in the game. Players can land at the Lodge and see some hunters become the hunted.
- Concert District - Partygoers will have a blast in the Concert District, where players will see a giant chicken balloon floating in the air. The Paintball Arena also offers opportunities for short, medium and long range battles. Players should familiarize themselves with this POI, as it may be included in Team Deathmatch mode in the future.
- Western Highlands - Snipers will enjoy the Western Highlands area, where players' sniper and sniper rifle skills will be put to the test. With minimal planting and a wide field of view, unsuspecting players may find themselves right in the crosshairs. The winding hills and dry, rocky atmosphere in the deserted coastal island provide more cover and hiding opportunities.
New movement mechanics and features
- Ascension Rope - The release of Deston also introduces a brand new movement mechanic to PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS. The ascension rope is a motorized pulley attached to the walls of certain buildings, including special cell towers. This new mechanic will allow players to seamlessly move from the ground to the top of a building and back again. In addition, players will not need to carry special items to use ascension ropes. The speed can be adjusted using the sprint button.
- Base-Jumping Parachute - There's no point in creating the tallest buildings ever in PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS if you can't jump off of them. That's why the permanently active Base Jumping Parachute was created, so players can jump from Deston's heights without fear. The Base-Jumping Parachute is a standard item in the players' inventory and always remains activated. Thus, the parachute also saves players who get caught on the map while jumping from the premature end of the game. Also, at the special cell towers equipped with ascension ropes, players can combine the ascension rope with the emergency parachute to catapult themselves across the map.
- Gas Stations - There will be working gas stations on Deston where players can refuel their vehicles while traveling around the map.
But care must be taken, as gas stations can be pulverized in a high-impact Michael Bay explosion when fired upon.
New Tactical Equipment: Blue Chip Detector
The Blue Chip Detector is the latest tactical equipment gadget to appear along with Deston! The Blue Chip Detector is a melee version of the spotting scope that allows players to track the location of enemies within a certain radius. However, due to the delay in detection, the Blue Chip Detector does not display the positions of other players in real time, and when used in city quarters, it does not display the exact vertical position. The core gameplay of PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS remains a top priority, and feedback on the new Tactical Gear will be closely monitored once players get their hands on it.
Like all maps, Deston brings two new exclusive weapons. The Origin 12 is a shotgun with superior accuracy and range, making it more efficient in all areas of the map. The MP9 is a new, powerful SMG specialized for close combat situations.
Source: Press release